- First of all, as you may have seen, at midnight last night we opened submissions for the National Flash-Fiction Day pop-up journal:FlashFlood (http://flashfloodjournal.
blogspot.co.uk/). I have put together a team of editors to work on this over the coming week for the journal to appear on the day itself, filling the day with flash-fictions from midnight to midnight! We are looking for stories under 500 words, on any theme, and from anywhere in the world. A maximum of 3 pieces per writer. Please spread the word and let's see just how many great flash-fictions we can get up online in the day.
- Next, Jawbreakers is almost here! The printers have informed me that I can expect the book to arrive tomorrow (10th May) and, if it arrives early enough, we will be shipping all pre-orders on the same day (along with author copies and any requested for events, if we can). Books can be pre-ordered from http://www.
nationalflashfictionday.co.uk/ anthology.html, or if you want a batch to sell at events (sale or return) then drop me a line here and I'll add you to the list. Can't wait to have my hands on the copies! The Kindle edition will be up on Amazon in time for NFFD next week.
- The anthology produced from Flash-Fiction South West - Kissing Frankenstein and Other Stories - is also now available to order from http://www.lulu.com/shop/
flash-fiction-south-west/ kissing-frankenstein-other- stories/paperback/product- 20102484.html;jsessionid= D2211F6E8FDDA95AFB45DA94C4B9F2 BD. 53 wonderful flash-fictions from all over the West Country. What more could you want? Best go and order now...
- Posters and story cards have headed out around the country. If you would still like some we have them, including Jawbreakersposters, so do get in touch. If you have received them, please send us photos of them in situ so we can show the world!
- There are events coming up this week to start off the Day, or which need pre-booking:
- I will be running a workshop this Saturday at the Discovery Centre in Winchester. It's only £5 and promises to be a great day, so do please book and come along if you can. (http://www3.hants.gov.uk/wdc/
- Valerie O'Riordan is also running a workshop on Monday 14th (where she should also have copies of her new pamphlet andJawbreakers!). It is booked up, but you could always join the waiting list. (http://
- Hartlepool Central Library start their display of Flash-Fictions on Saturday. If you're in the area that would be well worth a look. (http://www.
- Emma J Lannie is running a free workshop in Derby, actually on NFFD, for which places are still available, but pre-booking is necessary. (http://flashfictioncentral.
- Jospehine Corcoran is also running a free workshop on the day, in Trowbridge, you can also pre-book for that (http://www.
- And finally, the first actual proper event for NFFD will happen on the day before - 15th May - in Shrewsbury. So if you're nearby, or can be, get yourself along and be one of the first to celebrate National Flash-Fiction Day! (http://www.
- There are also competitions which are still open, including the 'Random Words' competition (closes today) and our two Australian opportunities (close tomorrow) plus other new ones which we add as they come along. So do keep checking out http://www.
nationalflashfictionday.co.uk/ competitions.html for details.
- And finally, as we head into the last week, once again can I ask you to keep spreading the word, sharing the Facebook page, https://www.facebook.
com/nationalflashfictionday, the Twitter address, @nationalflashfd, and generally bigging up National Flash-Fiction Day to anyone who will listen. I'm going to be on Radio Solent at the weekend talking about it. With only a week to go your local radio stations might finally be keen to feature it, so do start pestering them, especially if you are running an event that you want people to come to. And let's make this a day to remember.